The first event of its kind in the UAE, Nasab Dubai's Safe Space series will host Rozan Ahmed as she takes us on a journey of Sudanese beauty, unknown influence, reignited expression and a historic resilience. Here are five reasons as to why you need to be there:
1. Did you know that the world's first queens who led and won wars as regal wives were Sudanese? No? You will now.
2. You'll also find out the complicated reasons why most of the planet's social-media population, including Rihanna, turned "blue for Sudan".
3. Thanks to decades of one-sided reporting, war and colonial restraints, Sudan, along with many other indigenous countries, has suffered an image of negativity. At the same time, Sudan's stunning culture, art, and people have touched the lives of all those who've looked past a projected narrative. This will be your chance to do the same.
4. Sudanese feminism is ancient. Female empowerment is part and parcel of their grand history. How does this differ to modern day ideas of women and power? And what does it feel like being both an African, Arabic-speaking Muslim and British woman? So many questions, and during this special evening of high-time exchange, you can ask them all.
5. Cultural thought leader Rozan has single-handedly shifted perceptions not only of her Sudanese homeland, but entire cultures, worldwide. She explains how she turned a confusing crisis of multi-identity into a unique myriad of multi-opportunity, brand-rebuild and global impact.
- Join the conversation tonight 7 July 2019 from 7-9pm at Nasab Dubai. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your attendance and for more info, check @iamrozan and @nasabdubai