The Dubai Rugby Sevens kicks off (sorry) tomorrow at The Sevens Stadium. Now in its 49th year, it is set to be the largest event on record, with over 900 rugby and netball matches across the three days - plus live music and epic food stalls. Here's what you need to know...
1. A record number of netball teams are confirmed to play. This year’s netball tournament will see teams battle it out in three categories: Gulf Women, Open Youth and Open Women - with teams travelling from all over the world to take part. Pretty cool, right?
2. Off the courts and pitches there’s a three-day music festival in the Rugby Village taking place. Think stages and areas featuring international DJs, artists and bands so that we can dance all weekend long. Happy days.
3. Britney will be there (well, sort of). This year’s tribute artist is the one and only pop princess, which means she’ll be entertaining fans in the stands on pitch one throughout the weekend. Flying in from Las Vegas (seriously), Brit and her dancers will be performing some of her most popular songs. She'll be choosing which tracks, though. That's her Prerogative.
4. You’re spoilt for choice when it comes to what to eat. Expect an organic barbecue with chicken skewers, drumsticks and wings, pies, pizzas and picnic hampers filled with salads, pasta and cheese. Delish.
5. Entrance to Thursday’s action is completely free and will include matches on pitch one from Rugby Women’s Sevens Series and the start of the Emirates Airline Invitation Rugby & Netball Tournament. Advance ticket prices (general admission) for Friday and Saturday is Dhs315. On the day both ticket prices increase to Dhs420.
All tickets are available online at dubairugby7s.com