At a time when #WeAreAllResponsible for the safety of the community, this week, Mediclinic patients received this call to action from their healthcare providers: "We are writing to you today to ask for your help. The COVID-19 pandemic has placed increased strain on the UAE’s blood resources, and stocks have reached critically low levels. In order to try to boost supplies, Mediclinic has arranged a number of blood donation drives across the country and we invite you to come and give blood. All donations are conducted in a completely safe environment, with stringent infection control measures in force."
Those hoping to donate should fulfil the following criteria:
- Blood donors should have valid Emirates ID. Those on a visit visa or transit visa to the UAE are not eligible to give blood. Kindly provide the mobile number in which we can contact the donor directly if needed.
- Blood donor should be in good general health condition at the time of blood donation.
- Blood donors should be between the ages 18 - 65.
- Blood donors should have a body weight of at least 50 Kg and above (donors who are less than 21 years old must be 55 kg and above).
- All blood donors should have enough sleep on the previous day of donation.
- All blood donors should have healthy food within four hours of donation. Avoid fatty foods like egg, mutton, butter, cheese for at least 12 hours before donation.
- It is not recommended for pregnant and lactating women to donate blood.
- Donors should not have visited a malaria endemic country within one month of donation.
Those who cannot donate blood include:
A person who has been diagnosed with or suspected of having COVID-19.
A person who has lived with or has been exposed to a person who is diagnosed with or suspected of having COVID-19.
Those who cannot donate blood for 28 days include:
A person with any travel history.
Those who have history of malaria are not eligible to donate.
Can you help? Here's where and when to take part:
Mediclinic Welcare Hospital - 3 June
Mediclinic City Hospital - 7 June
Mediclinic Parkview Hospital - 10 June
Mediclinic Dubai Mall – 7 June
Timings: 9am - 2pm
Mediclinic Airport Road Hospital – 3 June
Timings: 9am - 2pm
Photo: Design Ecologist via Unsplash