We're very much of the mindset that a little bit of twee never hurt nobody. So yes, Random Acts of Kindness Day - today, if you weren't au fait with this slightly saccharine but nonetheless meaningful calendar date - is something that we're waving our Grazia flag with gusto for.
Started in 1995 by a group of self-named do-gooders from Denver, Colorado, the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation (or RAK for short) is "dedicated to inspiring everyone to practice and spread kindness in their own lives." That includes providing free online resources to encourage acts of kindness across the globe in schools, communities and through everyday experiences.
We're so on board with this that we decided to list a few ways you can spread the kindness today...
- Buy a coffee for the person standing behind you in the queue
- Give a stranger a compliment
- Call your mum
- Tip extra
- Send flowers for no reason
- Do the washing up (without having to be asked)
- Offer to take a couple's photo
- Send a message to an old friend
- Pick up litter in the street
- Offer help to someone who seems overwhelmed
- Treat a friend to breakfast
- Hide notes in a loved one's pocket
- Bake cookies and bring them into work to share
- Give a chocolate bar to your taxi driver
- Tell someone they're doing a great job
Photos: Unsplash, Instagram and supplied