1. Commit to wearing your aligners for at least 20 hours a day. At first you’ll be embarrassed about taking them out in front of people but, eventually, I was taking mine out at my desk for a cuppa. (Sorry, team).
2. Avoid drinking anything but water or clear liquid with them in as it stains the plastic and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
3. Take your aligner box with you everywhere! Don’t wrap your aligners up in tissue while eating at a restaurant as they’ll most likely end up getting thrown in the bin. (My second sorry goes to my dentist, Dr Rasha).
4. Use Vaseline on your gums at the beginning of the treatment to stop any rough edges catching.
5. When you switch to a new aligner, try to do it before you go to sleep. This will allow you to slumber right through any discomfort of wearing a new, tighter aligner. There’s always some pressure on your teeth during the first few days which can give you a bit of a headache but I promise this lessens as time goes on - and it's totally worth it in the end!
- Dr Rasha Al Mubarak is available to see at Euromed Clinic Dubai +971 4 394 5422
Photo: Antonio Altuzar