It's not very often that Grazia finds ourselves barefoot on a beach, toes in the sand, in a silent disco-cum-group meditation rave before a catwalk show. But Desigual is determined to be different. Here's what you may not know about the Barcelona-born brand and what went down at the SS20 show:
1. Launched in 1984, Mediterranean-inspired Desigual was created by Thomas Meyer with the intention of celebrating individuals and their uniqueness. Created with love, Desigual was built on the promise of ‘dressing people, not bodies’, and designs collections that are urban and versatile, with the unique Desigual touch.
2. Desigual’s first-ever garment was the now-iconic Mickey jacket – a piece made from scraps of used jeans. Not only was it a huge success in Ibiza, it also gives us serious inspo to repurpose our nineties mom jeans.
3. The show opened with Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood in what we'd like to think was a wry nod to the cult film Zoolander, and the scorching soundtrack even included a steel-band version of Love Like This by Faith Evans.
4. The brand aims to create colourful, optimistic pieces that inspire individuals to be themselves, and to celebrate their authenticity through clothing - this inclusive philosophy and fight for diversity has been the focus of the brand since its inception.
5. A Desigual-clad FROW including Miranda Makaroff, Pascal Moscheni, Paul Samb, Portia Ferrari, Ric Dominguez, and Bobby and Bonnie Strange, were among the 1,241 guests who were jetted in from around the globe for the show.
6. Garments are made through an ethically-conscious process of creation, in an effort to reduce their environmental impact.
7. A cast of sixty dancers joined models on the catwalk in a stunning display of contemporary choreography to show the clothes in motion, and Spanish R'n'B sensation Aleesha took to the catwalk to close the show with a sizzling set.
8. To accompany the new mood for SS20, Desigual has also reinvented its logo and released a new monogram, the mastermind of the brand's new Chief Marketing Officer Guillem Gallego. Watch out Virgil Abloh.