The fashion industry is an inspiring, creative, exciting place to be, so it’s little wonder that thousands of people aspire to have a career in it. Whether you’re a budding marketeer or designer, here are some expert tips from Dr. Haifa, Dean of The College of Fashion & Design Dubai, to help get you started...
1. Read widely. “My favourite inspiring book is My Journey by Donna Karan,” says Dr. Haifa. “In this candid memoir, renowned designer Donna Karan shares intimate details about her lonely childhood and her four-plus decades in the fashion industry.”
2. Never stop learning. “We at the College of Fashion and Design have always believed that our accredited, comprehensive curriculum will equip students with the knowledge and skills to enter the ever-changing and competitive fashion industry workforce,” reveals Dr. Haifa, whose college offers courses in both Fashion Design and Fashion Business Management.
3. Get work experience. “I think it’s really important to get industry experience while in college as it gives students an edge in their job search after completing their qualifications,” says Dr. Haifa, adding that The College of Fashion & Design Dubai has many partnerships with local, regional and international fashion businesses to give their students work opportunities during the semester.
4. Embrace new technologies. “In today’s world, more and more designers are introducing the fashion world to new technologies, and advances in 3D scanning, modelling and printing are creating a revolution in customised fashion pieces,” notes Dr. Haifa. “This is a technology which is available here at the college.”
5. Amp up your social presence. More than just sharing pictures with friends and followers, social media can be key for creating a personal brand, so it’s worth investing a little time in your feed.
To find out more about the courses on offer at The College of Fashion & Design Dubai, visit cfd-dubai.com.
Photos: Instagram @thecfddubai